Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lake Chad, and Fulani nomads

Back in Kano now. I'd spent 2 nights at/around Lake Chad. The first night I slept at a Christian pastor's house. The second day and night I spent visiting Lake Chad and then was invited to stay/roam in the bush with a family of Fulani nomads. These nomads had come from their hometown in Diffa, southeastern Niger to this bushland, which was once part of Lake Chad, 3 months ago in search of pasture for their herds of goats and cows. Of course to them, there's no border or passport.

(children playing music at an Evangelical church-run school)

I was very fortunate to be given the chance to roam with the nomads and spend a night with them in this dried part of Lake Chad. I didn't have to pay any money, it was all because I had been in the same bush taxi with a member of this nomadic family, Ali Gorjo, who happened to be a Christian convert. So he introduced me to stay with his pastor friend for the first night, and then took me to his family in the bush. I was surprised to see how he, as now a Christian, lived perfectly in harmony with the rest of his family who is Muslim. It's like to them, religion comes second after their goats and cows, which are their true livelihood.
(my horse for a day)
(we settled here the night before)
(Fulani nomads)
The day I was leaving them and their camp in the bush, Ali, one of his brothers and mother were bringing a cow to the market to sell so that they could raise some money for the family. Life is hard for these nomads, especially during this dry season.

At the end of my stay, Ali's mother gave me a calabash, on the outside it had beautiful carvings which she did it herself. Then one of Ali's brothers' wife gave me another beautifully carved calabash that she had carved herself. I couldn't thank them enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment