Wednesday, March 31, 2010

illegal entry into DR Congo

I did it again: crossing the land border from one African country to another without a visa when I really should have one.

After traversing through northern Burundi and Southern Rwanda, I showed up at the Rwanda/DR Congo border at Bukavu, south of Lake Kivu. I had read from a guidebook (published several years ago, so it's not really that up to date) that it was possible to buy an 8-day Congolese visa for $35 at this border. But, as you have probably guessed, things have changed, they no longer issue visas at this crossing any more, and I was told to go back to Rwanda.

The story would have ended here if I just simply followed their instruction. But, I didn't want to give up this easily after I had already come this far. Here's my observation of this border crossing: a potholed road links DR Congo to Rwanda, the Congolese immigration office (in a small concrete hut) is by the road. While local people come into the office and have their travel papers stamped, there's really no soldiers or police who keep an watchful eye on the flow of people travelling through this post. Basically, it seems almost like people just voluntarily come to the office, get stamped and then wander into the country at will. And there are always dozens of people passing through here at any given moment. Plus, it was pouring really hard when I was there, which made the scene even more chaotic.

So I was standing at the doorstep of the immigration office, if I turned left, I would go back to Rwanda; if I turned right and kept going, I would be in Bukavu, DR Congo in just a couple of minutes. And the minibus that took me here was already waiting for me (the only foreigner and the last passenger to return after the immigration) along with my fellow Congoless passengers.

What would you do if you were me? I just casually left the immigration office, boarded the minibus and continued into DR Congo. That was it, there was no more checkpoints beyond here. So I've illegally entered DR Congo without a visa, I just hope that it will be as smooth when I leave here.

No comments:

Post a Comment