Saturday, December 26, 2009

Not Chinese tea vs. Moroccan tea, but Chinese tea + Moroccan tea

Took a grand taxi from Meknes to the ancient city of Fez today, which cost just Dh 20, or US$3 under. In case you ask what a grand taxi is (you know you did). Well, if you are still in university (that means if you are drunk and stoned most of the time), then a grand taxi is a Mercedez sedan that is older than you, and has 2 passengers in the front and 4 in the back (not counting the dead one in the trunk, jk).

So it is almost new year, most hotels are already full, especially the cheap ones. I had to knock door to door to find a bed that is within my price range which is less than Dh 100, but it is all Dh 150 upward (and my request to pitch my tent on their open roofs were politely refused). Finally, with the help of a young man, whom I tipped Dh 10 later, there is a family guesthouse that has a room (which fits in only a single bed). It is run by a Berber woman, and she wants Dh 90. Now the bargaining begins. After several rounds of serious yet cheerful price slashing by me and compromising by her, we finally agreed to paying Dh 150 for 2 nights. I felt like a winner. Maybe she did, too!

After I settled in and was about to go out and do my tourist duties, she invited me for tea and snack (now we know who the real winner was, haha.... jk). She showed me some Chinese green tea and some mint tea leaves, then she boiled them in the pot together, and added spoons of sugar. So the resulting flavour is strongly minty and sweet! It seemed just what I needed, now I am ready to get lost in this maze like ancient city.

Oh, her name is Titi (roughly translated from the Berber pronouciation). If this guesthouse had a name, I would highly recommend it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment