Friday, April 16, 2010

theft and fist fight

Well, that bus journey has proven to be very costly to me. My Sonim mobile phone, iPod, Swiss Army Knife, a souvenir pin from the Kigali Memorial Centre and some Rwandan coins were stolen from my rucksack. I highly suspect that they were stolen while my rucksack was stowed in the baggage compartments in the belly of that bus, and the only persons who had key/access to the space were the bus conductors/baggage handlers who travelled with the bus. While there was another possible time when my rucksack was out of my sight when I put it down in my room of the guest house in Arusha and I went out for about 1 hour. But I just think that the old man working at the hotel reception just seems way too innocent and honest to steal.

I reported it to the police and they detained the 2 young men working on the bus and the old man from my guest house. But when the police let go of another guy who worked on the bus, he acted angrily and aggressively toward me. I just immediately lost control and jumped into a fist fight with him right outside the police station.

Now I've made several trips to the police station, but there didn't seem to be even a remote chance of finding my stolen things. And I was told if the case was to go forwad into court proceedings and the suspects were to face trial, I would have to be present at every single hearing and it was likely to take a long time. Well, I'm going on a safari tomorrow for 3 days and will fly to Dubai next week. So I just had to let it go.

It especially upset me because I got in this shit luck just 2 days before I was to meet my parents here in Arusha and join them for a safari which I'd been looking forward to for quite a while. It sucks that I have to end this Africa trip feeling upset and disappointed. I hope the safari will bring my mood back on the positive side, I'm pretty sure it will :)

No comments:

Post a Comment